You are viewing this site in staging mode. Click in this bar to return to normal site.
x#{notify_img}
#{notify_title}
#{notify_text}

Ferry Across the Arun

It is fair to say that the River Arun has played a major role in both the history and the development of the village of Pulborough. The fact that it is located on the north bank of the river inevitably begs the question as to how, over the centuries, its inhabitants have managed to get to the southern side?


The river at certain times is fordable, usually on the ebbing tide, and evidence of a ford was found during repair work to Swan Bridge in 1829. However, such a crossing was likely to have proved to be perilous and, in prehistoric times, recourse would most likely have been to boats.


The arrival of the Romans in Britain, in 43AD, heralded a flurry of road construction. This included the construction of Stane Street, firstly from Dell Quay, which is just to the south of Chichester, to Pulborough, and then at a later date onwards to London Bridge.


It seems highly improbable that such an advanced civilisation as the Romans would not have been able to bridge the river at Pulborough. Indeed, a few miles further north, along Stane Street, at Alfoldean (just before the junction of the A29 and the A281), the remains of a Roman bridge across the Arun can still be seen under the current bridge.


There is however, no evidence as to where Pulborough’s bridge might have been. The River Arun has the second fastest current in the whole country and is tidal for three miles upstream from Swan Bridge, and this, combined with frequent flooding, is likely to have washed away any traces centuries ago.


During medieval times, the north-south route from London by-passed Pulborough and the Arun was not bridged until it passed through Houghton, near Amberley, and a stone bridge was not constructed in Pulborough village until 1785, when the old Swan Bridge was built.
There is evidence that there was an earlier, wooden, bridge across the river. This was located just to the east of Swan Bridge, and was accessed via a lane leading down to the river from Lower Street, next to the site now occupied by Willow Cottage. This was shown on a map of Sussex, drawn up in 1724 by Richard Budgen, and the remains of a few posts and piles were still visible in 1953.


Apart from the bridge constructed in 1859 to take the railway across the river, the only other bridge in Pulborough village was located just to the west of Railway Cottages, on Stopham Road, and was known as Clements Bridge. This was never a public highway but was merely a crossing over the river purportedly to allow cattle to reach the meadows on the other side.


There is, however, another, more devious theory regarding the purpose behind this bridge’s construction. Clements Bridge had low arches, meaning that the larger barges using the Wey Arun Navigation were unable to pass under it. Instead they were forced to use the Hardham Tunnel, which was opened in 1795, and they were obliged to pay tolls to the canal company which, it was rumoured, had paid for this bridge to be built!


The remains of Clements Bridge were eventually swept away by flood waters in 1968.
Consequently, prior to 1700, it seems the only way of crossing the River Arun from Pulborough village was by ferry.


A ferry at Pulborough is mentioned as existing in the 13th century in the Wiston Manor Rolls and, in 1350, a ferry is listed as being in the ownership of the Lord of the Manor, Sir Henry Husse.


There is evidence that there may have been two ferries at Pulborough. In 1636 the Earl of Arundel’s water bailiff described a ferry at Pulborough, on the route from Arundel to Dorking. He located this ferry as being upstream from “the Ferry Weare”. The buildings on the south side of Station Road were constructed on a field, which was known as the Ferry Mead, a name which remains in use to this day. The second ferry is thought to have been located at what was later to become the site of the wooden bridge referred to earlier.


Following its construction in 1785, the old stone bridge at Swan Corner was the main crossing point at Pulborough for over 150 years. In 1936, with the continuing growth of traffic, West Sussex County Council constructed the current road bridge and closed the old bridge to vehicles. The original intention was to demolish the old bridge but it was retained following a public outcry.